Saturday, May 4, 2013

Let's Talk Bugs. Volume 1

We know we’ve posted recently about those warm weather pests that tend to find our precious pups and attach themselves to them… yes….we’re talking fleas and ticks. You can read our original post here. We think we should feature some of the great products we carry. These punky pests are going to begin to emerge as enemy #1 for our best friends. Here at the Grateful Dog Bakery, there is nothing more we would like to do then help you rid yourselves of them with natural solutions to keep your pets healthy. You see, many of the main-line flea and tick repellants pose a great risk for your dog and your cat.

They are very strong chemicals, and many pet owners have experienced their pets getting very sick…and yes, some have even died due to the strength of the chemical. In the past few years, the EPA has begun a program to monitor these treatments because it has just gotten way out of hand. This link will take you to read more.We just want you to know that there are natural flea and tick repellants available…that work great and are much, much, much safer for your four-legged children.

This week, let’s check out Ark Naturals Flea Flicker! Tick Kicker! 

The short of it: This botanical formula was developed as a natural, botanical alternative to chemical pesticides in controlling fleas and ticks on your pet. It is easy to apply and leaves a mild, fresh smell. You simply spray on a light application, massage into pet’s coat, and it starts to work immediately to repel and kill fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. And, it’s Made in the USA! This product is available in store and online…

SHOP NOW

Looking for some reviews? Here’s what some folks had to say….
Beats the Competition by far! 5/5 paws 
Ticks are such a huge problem these days and a lot of people hesitate to use the topical treatments. I know I cut down on my own dog’s outdoor activities just because after every outing there were ticks, and locating them through a Portuguese Water Dog’s ample coat is not fun! My sister has 50+ acres around her house and her dogs get ticks pretty much every time they spend time out there. She tried one brand of flea and tick product on her dogs and her friend used Flea Flicker on her pack. My sister’s dogs were covered in ticks while the friend that used Flea Flicker found only one tick on her dogs. And that one tick was dead! Since the test, my sister switched to Flea Flicker and the number of ticks she finds has dropped considerably. I’m switching to Flea Flicker also and looking forward to my dog romping with me in the woods again!

 ****************

I bought 3 bottles of this spray last month when my 20 year old indoor cat surprised me with fleas. At first I wanted to treat him naturally, but due to dermatitis on his hind area, was forced to go to the vet for meds to treat him properly for his age. Here in Ohio, I hear that we are having a severe flea season—and the bugs near my home are worse as well. After reading other reviews about how well this product worked on PEOPLE as a natural repellent, I definitely wanted to give it a try as we spend a lot of time outside on our porch & in the yard. We had already gone thru several cans of the major brand of insect repellent, and my biggest problem with it is the stickiness & chemical residues—too strong for daily use. We LOVE this spray! It works extremely well! Just last night (first weekend in Oct!) we had a crazy attack of mosquitos—after spraying ourselves & the outdoor area, we were no longer being bombarded. The best part is that you don’t feel like you need to shower off any sticky residue before bed. (My boyfriend does feel this spray has a strong smell to him, but since the smell subsides quickly enough, he’s a fan now too) I have not used this ON my cat directly, but do spray his areas of rest & doorways, furniture, etc. Since we grill outside often, we also spray our legs & clothing, in case we ourselves brought in the fleas that my cat had gotten. Incidentally, last month we had seasonal midges come thru that cling to screens—spraying the screens alone kept them away. My mother grabbed one bottle from me for her gardening time protection–and I’m back to order more!

If your pet has had an adverse reaction to spot on treatments, you can report the incident here. 

 SHOP NOW to purchase online! Available in-store too!

No comments:

Post a Comment