Some traditional seasonal decorations can be toxic to dogs and cats. Holly, poinsettia, ivy and mistletoe are all toxic to pets. If you want these traditional favorites in your home look for artificial versions. The silk versions look great and can be used year after year, saving you some money, too. Tinsel and ribbons can cause a bowel obstruction if your dog or cat eats it, so keep those well out of reach. Wrapped presents look wonderful under the tree, but to avoid your dog opening packages early storing them out of reach is a good idea.
Foods to Avoid: Chocolate, onions, avocados, grapes, raisins. Cooked bones of any kind. Turkey skin and gravy are high fat and could cause pancreatitis, a painful inflammation of the pancreas. Raw yeast doughs can cause stomach bloating. The salt dough recipe used for hand made ornaments is very toxic to dogs. Keep these well out of reach.
Foods to Share: white meat turkey, sweet potatoes, green veggies. (Save some out before seasoning or adding butter, cheese or brown sugar).
There are some pet friendly holiday events in our area, so follow us on Facebook to see what's going on. www.facebook.com/TheGratefulDogBakery/
The information in this blog came from articles in Dogster Magazine and DogsNaturally.com. If you are looking for well researched and interesting articles, either publication would be a good place to start.